Make a Splash Safely
Whether you are enjoying the Lucy Park Pool, Lake Wichita, or your own backyard pool, these 5 easy tips are great reminders to keep your summer cool.
- Enroll your kids in swim lessons. Once your child has had swim lessons, don't let your guard down - even when children have had formal swimming lessons, adult supervision is still an essential part of water safety for kids.
- Have an adult present with undivided attention (water watcher) at all times while kids are in the water. Keep weak swimmers within arm's reach.
- Hire a lifeguard when hosting a pool party. This way parents can relax and enjoy the party knowing a professional is on duty.
- Choose Coast Guard approved life jackets. Make sure they are the right size and are fastened correctly.
- Have children and weak swimmers should always wear a lifejacket in open water. The limited visibility, differing depth, uneven surfaces, currents, and undertows should not be gambled with.